This is the perfect summer salad. So refreshing and just bursting with goodness. Serve it cold with grilled fish or chicken and it’ll make you feel like you’re on a Mediterranean holiday!
You’ll need (for the salad):
- 1 large orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 or 3 baby fennel bulbs (slice very thinly, reserve 1 teaspoon of chopped fronds)
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves (washed and dried in a salad spinner)
You’ll need (for the dressing):
- 4 tablespoons orange juice (see method below)
- 2 tablespoons grape fruit juice (see method below)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut the peel and pith off the orange and grapefruit. Slice down either side of membrane to release segments. With the remaining fruit, squeeze over a bowl to extract juices. Set aside required quantity for the dressing.
In a large bowl, mix orange and grapefruit segments, fennel and any remaining juice. Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
To prepare dressing, whisk together required dressing ingredients and the reserved fennel fronds. Just before serving, pour away excess juice that the fennel and fruit has been sitting in. Add salad leaves to the large bowl, pour dressing and mix gently. Pile on a plate and serve. Enjoy!