Oh God, this is the world’s best choc chip cake. Mangy and I have been fighting over it and I’m really surprised it lasted 3 days. I’m guessing the only reason we didn’t finish it sooner was coz we haven’t been home much. Serve the cake piping hot for a pudding-like dessert. It tastes even better when cool, the crust goes crisp, but the inside remains soft, rich and so moist. If I could marry a cake, this is the cake I would marry.
The original recipe is from here. As usual, a few slight changes to suit my pantry. Enjoy (trust me you will)!
- 250g butter (room temperature – diced roughly)
- 80g brown sugar
- 170g caster sugar
- 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee (I use Nescafe Gold)
- 1 vanilla pod – scrap the seeds, discard the pod
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 125g crushed walnuts
- 120g choc chips (half dark choc chips, half milk choc chips) – I used Cadbury chips that hold shape when baked
- 125g sifted plain flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius. Lightly grease a cake tin. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add coffee powder and vanilla seeds and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix together. Then add salt, walnuts, choc chips and flour. Stir well. Pour batter into cake tin, bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean (about 40 minutes). Serve hot with ice cream or allow to cool and enjoy with a cuppa!