Another lovely dish that goes with poori or rice. Strangely hubby and brother-in-law insist it tastes exactly like their mother’s. I’ve never eaten her cauliflower and potato curry, so I don’t know if they’re just being polite – entirely possible as it was my birthday yesterday 🙂
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 onion – chopped finely
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 1 tablespoon – ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon – garlic paste
- 2 medium-sized potatoes – chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 smallish cauliflower – cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon roasted black pepper and cumin powder (Dry roast equal amounts of these spices and grind finely in a coffee mill. This mix will keep for weeks, and is lovely with meat or sprinkled on top of fresh cucumbers)
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 green chillies – chopped small
- Pinch of hing
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillies – broken into small pieces
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander – chopped finely
Heat a little oil, add chopped potatoes and cook until soft. Add cauliflower and cook until semi-done. Remove from heat. Heat 1 teaspoon oil, add onions and green onions, cook until transculent. Add hing, mustard seeds, curry leaves and red dried chillies.
Once mustard seeds have splutted and onions are brown, add tomato. Stir well, add potato and cauliflower, stir well. Place lid on pot and cook until cauliflower is soft. Add red chilli powder and turmeric, stir well and cook until curry dries up. Add black pepper and cumin mix and salt to taste. Stir well, garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy!